Robert Monroe "Tex" Davenport

RCAF   F/L   -   DFC,   MiD

use switches
Fighter Pilots
Air Gunners
Navigators/Radar Operators
Other Aircrew
Gallery Gallery
Misc. Miscellaneous

Tex Davenport

use switches
Site Map Sitemap
Sources Slang
Acknowledgements Thanks/
About Us About
Links Links


Air Force Casualties

Ottawa, Feb. 18, 1944 — The Department of National Defense for Air has issued casualty list 809 today. This list includes:

Missing After Air Operations
DAVENPORT, Robert Monroe, P/O Russellville, Arkansas


American in the RCAF
Born in Russellville, Arkansas, 27 January 1918
Home there (another source says Houston, Tx.
- while another says Arlington, Va.)
Enlisted in Windsor, Ontario, 4 October 1941
Trained at
No.3 ITS (graduated 2 January 1942)
No.1 EFTS (graduated 27 February 1942) &
No.14 SFTS (graduated 31 July 1942
No.1 OTU, Bagotville, 28 August 1942
"Y" Depot, Halifax, 15 November 1942
Arrived overseas 22 November 1942
No.58 OTU, 29 December 1942
No.401 Squadron, 23 February 1943
Reported missing (flak), 9 January 1944
Safe in UK (evaded), 10 April 1944
Returned to No.401 Squadron, 10 May 1944
Returned to Canada, 31 March 1945
Released 11 October 1945

LAC 27 December 1941
Sgt    31 July 1942
F/S   31 January 1943
P/O  23 June 1943
F/O  23 December 1943
F/L   17 September 1944

DFC presented in Houston, Tx. 12 Aug. 1949


Air Force Casualties

Ottawa, April 24, 1944 — The Department of National Defense for Air today issued casualty list No. 865 of the RCAF showing next of kin of those named from Ontario, as follows:

Previously Reported Missing — Now Reported Safe in United Kingdom

DAVENPORT, Robert Monroe, F/O Arlington, Va., U.S.A.

Previously Reported Missing, Now Officially Presumed Dead

GRANT, Frank Edward, S/L. W.S. Grant (father), Brockville, Ont.


Toronto Airman Earn RCAF Awards

Ottawa, Nov, 1, 1944 - (CP) - Award of the Distinguished Service Order to one member of the RCAF overseas and the Distinguished Flying Cross to six others was announced tonight by Air Force Headquarters.
The DSO went to Sqdn Ldr. R. K. Hayward of St. John's, Newfound land, credited with destroying five enemy aircraft. He had "proved himself a most courageous leader," Headquarters said.
Recipients of the DFC were: S/L J.A. Hatch of 145 Douglas Drive, Toronto; F/L H. McLachlan of Aden, Alta.; F/L F. B. Young of Vancouver; F/O C. W. Chown of Mirror, Alta.; F/O H. L. (?) Davenport of Russellville, Arkansas; F/O H. J. L. McKinley, Nassau, Bahamas, West Indies.


DAVENPORT, F/O Robert Monroe (J18048) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.401 Sq.
Award effective 31 October 1944 as per London Gazette of that date and
AFRO 1/45 dated 5 January 1945.

This officer has invariably displayed a high degree of skill, courage and determination in his attacks on the enemy. He has shot down three enemy aircraft and in attacks on road transport he has put out of action some sixty mechanical vehicles. He has at all times shown outstanding keenness.


DAVENPORT, P/O Robert Munroe, DFC (J18048) - Mention in Despatches - 401 Sq.
(Although the AFRO gives his unit as "No.405 BPC" it is clear that this is either a holding unit or a misprint) Award effective 1 January 1945 as per London Gazette of that date and
AFRO 379/45 dated 2 March 1945.

No citation in Canadian sources. Public Records Office Air 2/9229 has citation as submitted to Air Ministry Honours and Awards Committee.

On 9th January 1944 this officer was compelled to land his Spitfire in enemy occupied territory when the aircraft had sustained severe damage from anti-aircraft fire. After setting the aircraft on fire, Pilot Officer Davenport made for some woods. He was fired on by a party of Germans but escaped injury. Jumping into a lake, this officer pulled some bushes over his head and remained so until the Germans passed and went further into the woods. Pilot Officer Davenport then came out of the water and made his way southwest in the opposite direction to the enemy party. On 11th January he reached Pont Remy where he received food, money and an identity card from French helpers. On 13th January he was taken to the station and boarded a train for Paris. Here he found other helpers and eventually traveled on by train to Toulouse from where the remainder of his journey to the United Kingdom was arranged.

NOTE: This text is accompanied in the file by a copy of his own evasion report:

I took off from Biggin Hill in a Spitfire aircraft about 1100 hours on 9 January 1944 for a target near Vacquerie (N.W. Europe, 1:250,000, Sheet 4, H.0700).

Whilst I was somewhere near Airon-St.Vaast (G.6922) I was hit by flak in the port wing , the fuselage and the radiator. I managed to gain control of the aircraft and made a good landing. I destroyed my radio set and IFF and got out of the aircraft. I ran like hell towards some woods, and then looking back I realized I had not destroyed my aircraft. I ran back and set it on fire.

By this time about eight Germans were approaching me from the other side of the field. They started shooting at me, but I think it is probably [sic] that they were firing blind. I got into the woods and jumped into a lake about 20 yards from the aircraft. I then pulled some bushes over my head. The Germans ran past me into the woods. I came out and went southwest and then south across the fields, in the opposite direction from the Germans. There were some men ploughing in the fields, but I found they did not speak English and I could not understand French. I did not receive any help until I reached Pont Remy (M.8377), where I arrived about 1630 hours on 11 January. On the nights 9/10 and 10/11 January I slept in a haystack, and during these two days I lived on the contents of my escape kit.

At Pont Remy I stopped at a house on the outskirts of the village and asked for some food. The lady who opened the door spoke a little English and she took me in and gave me some bread and coffee. About 15 minutes later two Germans arrived. My helpers seemed to be on friendly terms with them and they came into the room where I was sitting and talked for a little while. They then got up and left. At that time I was still in uniform, although I had torn off my rank and insignia.

I stayed at Pont Remy for two days, and during this time I was provided with an identity card, for which an old photograph of one of the villagers was used.

On 13 January I was taken to the station and given 1,000 francs and a railway ticket to Paris. I caught a train at 0820 hours and arrived in Paris about 1230. I walked about the town for about an hour and then came back to the station. Here I saw an old notice outside a hotel which said "English spoken at this hotel". I went inside and saw two old ladies. They spoke little English and told me that they could find someone who would help me. They took me upstairs and gave me civilian clothes and some beer. At night a man who had at one time worked with the New York Herald arrived. He took me to his house for the night. The next morning (14 January) he made me a chit stating that I was deaf and dumb. At 0500 hours he took me to the station and bought me a ticket to Toulouse. I gave him the money for this ticket from my escape purse.

My journey to Toulouse took from 0800 hours to 2000 hours. There were six other men in my carriage and to begin with they made several attempts to talk to me. I showed them my chit and they left me in peace. Towards the end of the journey I began to get a little worried as to what I should do when I arrived at Toulouse. I knew that it was a large city and that there were likely to be a lot of Gestapo about. I therefore decided to take a chance and ask my companions if they knew of an address where I could go. They were delighted to learn that I was in the RAF and all of them were very anxious to help me. They gave me some food and one of them went to fetch the ticket collector. He in turn brought a young Vichy conscript to see me and at Toulouse this boy took me to a hotel that he knew. He told the proprietor that I was English and I was refused admission. We then went to another hotel. My helper again said I was English and this time we were taken in. About ten minutes after we had arrived the manager came to see me and asked if I wanted to go to Spain. From this point my journey was arranged for me.


Victories Include :

5 July 1944
17 July 1944
20 Aug 1944

18 Sept 1944
5 Oct 1944
one FW190
one Do217
one FW190
one FW190
one FW190
1/5 Me262
destroyed &
destroyed *

4.2 / 0 / 1

* This was the first jet ever shot down in combat.
Shared with Rod Smith, Snooks Everard, Lloyd Sinclair & Johnny MacKay





top     home

All content should be considered the property of the contributers and/or The Canadian Fighter Pilot & Air Gunner Museum - unless otherwise noted